News articles can be filtered by department or by category. The default view is providing you a list of all the news articles currently available.
Post Date:08/21/2019 4:01 PM
Return to full list >>
Each September, emergency and disaster response agencies across our nation undertake a month long effort to educate the public on disaster preparedness. Preparedness is an essential step in disaster recovery because it focuses on a community's coordinated effort to lessen the impact of local disasters. The most impactful measures a person, family, business or community organization should undertake include the following:
- Sign up for local alerts, download apps, and/or check access for wireless emergency alerts;
- Develop and test your Emergency Communication Plan;
- Assemble or update your emergency supply kit;
- Conduct a drill to practice emergency response actions;
- Participate in a preparedness discussion, training, or class;
- Collect and safeguard critical business and personal documents;
- Document property and get insurance for relevant hazards;
- Make property improvements to reduce potential injury and property damage.
- Include the welfare of your pets in all phases of family disaster planning.